Thursday 25 April 2019

Who cares for you?


Around 3 years ago, I went for a routine visit to my GP so I can have my annual check up. My GP asked me how I was feeling so we had a discussion and then he said this - “You care for so many people but who cares for you”

At first, I didn’t really want to answer the question but after I left, I had time ponder on it and I really struggled at answering the question until I came to this conclusion which was If I don’t care for and look after myself, no one else will. It sounds selfish but in reality, it is the truth.
When I was studying and also teaching at the same time, I only had like one day to myself and even then I was always on call, I rarely had time for myself. When I did have time for myself, I always found myself looking after other people before myself. When my body broke down in August last year, that was when I learnt the harsh reality that I really need to be caring for myself more.

There will be times where you will need to be there for other people and if caring is your nature then it will be something that you do naturally however you can’t do care for other people if you are not in the best of conditions. Don’t wait until your body breaks down in order to start looking after yourself, Don’t wait until you become ill in order to start looking after yourself.
I have’t been the best in looking after myself because I had wanted to care for everybody else but 3 years later, I’ve taken a huge leap in finally caring for myself.

Recently, I saw a post via social media and there was a carer who devoted himself to care for other people but eventually it got too much and he took his own life. He cared for so many people but who was caring for him?

Below are a few tips at which you can care for and look after yourself
- Have regular check ups
- Eat healthily / have a healthy diet
- Have time for yourself
- Regular exercise (this could be going for walks or even going to the gym)
- Have a regular sleep pattern
- Set Boundaries

There are more tips I could provide but maybe you could write yourself a list and put them into practice......

Now i’m On the road to recovery, i’ll Be sharing a lot more of story with you all. Be intentional about yourself, be intentional about how you care and look after yourself.

See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment